Looking for a Grocery Cashier position? We recommend starting with checking out successful cashier resumes. You want to make sure your resume stands out by being both informative and intriguing. We provide you with samples for each of your resume sections.
Let's get started!
What you can read in this article
Grocery Cashier Resumes
Or download these examples in PDF at the bottom of this page for free
The Grocery Cashier Resume Guide
What to Highlight
No matter how long you have been working as a Grocery Cashier, or not yet at all, there are a few important things that employers want to see.
The most important thing is your customer service experience (or attitude). Even if you haven’t been a Grocery Cashier before, make sure to emphasize your expertise working with customers, whether it was through a previous job or even a position that you held at the school or through an academic organization.
Next, you will want to highlight your math skills. One of the core responsibilities of a Grocery Cashier is ringing up customers’ orders and making sure you give the correct change. You can demonstrate your mathematics skills on your resume by including previous cashiering experience or even including a list of math courses you have taken through school.
Lastly, employers want to see that you are responsible and professional. To demonstrate this, you can include previous jobs that you have had or extracurricular activities. Essentially, any type of job, position, or activity that you have dedicated a significant amount of time to shows that you can show up to work on time and behave professionally.
Step 1. Contact Information:
- Phone Number
Step 2: Introduction/Summary Statement (optional)
Write a concise introduction or summary statement that highlights your relevant skills, experience, and career goals as a Grocery Cashier. This statement should grab the attention of the hiring manager and provide a brief overview of your qualifications.
Introduction: Friendly and customer-oriented Grocery Cashier with 2 years of experience in a fast-paced retail environment. Committed to providing exceptional service and ensuring customer satisfaction. Seeking an opportunity to contribute to XYZ Supermarket's success.
Step 3: Skills Section
Create a dedicated section to showcase your skills that are relevant to the role of a Grocery Cashier. Use clear headings and concise statements to highlight your key abilities. For example:
- Proficient in accurately handling cash transactions and operating cash registers or point-of-sale (POS) systems.
- Skilled in counting change, processing payments, and maintaining cash register accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deliver friendly and efficient customer service.
- Ability to assist customers, resolve inquiries, and provide product information.
Attention to Detail:
- Strong ability to maintain accuracy when scanning items, verifying prices, and bagging groceries.
- Diligent in ensuring correct pricing, discounts, and promotions are applied.
- Familiarity with grocery store products, including produce, deli, bakery, and general merchandise.
- Able to provide recommendations and answer customer questions about various items.
Step 4: Work Experience
List your work experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent or current position. Provide a brief introduction for each position, describing the store type and the scope of your responsibilities. Use paragraphs to describe your specific duties and achievements. Highlight your customer service skills, cash handling experience, and any relevant accomplishments.
Grocery Cashier, XYZ Supermarket
(May 2021 – Present)
- Provide friendly and efficient customer service at the checkout counter, ensuring a positive shopping experience for customers.
- Accurately scan and weigh items, process payments, and return change to customers.
- Handle customer inquiries, resolve issues, and assist with price checks and product information.
- Collaborate with team members to maintain a clean and organized checkout area.
- Achieve consistently high levels of accuracy in cash handling and register reconciliation.
Step 5: Education
Include your educational background, starting with the highest level attained. List the name of the school, degree or diploma earned, and graduation year. For example:
Education: High School Diploma ABC High School, City, State Graduated in 2020
Step 6: Additional Sections (optional)
Consider including additional sections to enhance your resume, depending on your specific qualifications and achievements. Some possible sections include:
- Certifications: Include any relevant certifications, such as Food Safety Handling or Customer Service Training.
- Volunteer Experience: If you have volunteered in customer service or community involvement roles, highlight those experiences to showcase your dedication and skills.
Note: When writing your resume, keep it clear, concise, and easy to read. Tailor your resume to the specific job requirements, emphasizing your relevant skills, experience, and achievements. Proofread carefully for errors or typos, and ensure that the formatting and layout are clean and professional.
Supermarket Cashier Job Description & Responsibilities
No matter how long you have been a Grocery Cashier, try incorporating these responsibilities into your employment history.
- Building rapport with customers to drive repeat business
- Greeting customers immediately when they walk into the store
- Counting the till before and after a shift to ensure accuracy
- Utilizing the scanner to ring items up, manually adding items and discounts when necessary
- Processing cash, check, and credit card payments
- Helping customers carry their groceries out to their car
- Handling exchanges and returns
- Assisting customers with bagging their groceries
- Informing customers about discounts and deals
- Checking customer’s identification if they are purchasing alcohol or tobacco products
Quantifying Your Resume
Employers love numbers because it makes your experience feel more tangible. When writing your resume, if you can answer the questions, “How much?” or “How many?”, you should include that number in your resume. For instance:
- How many customers did you ring per shift?
- How many ID’s did you check per shift?
- What was the largest exchange/return you have processed?
The Importance of Soft Skills
When it comes to a Cashier's resume, soft skills are of the utmost importance. You are the first and last employee a customer sees when grocery shopping, so potential employers want to know that you will give their customers a professional and pleasant experience. To show employers that you have the soft skills they are looking for, try to incorporate these into your profile, key skills, and cover letter sections.
Action Verbs for a Grocery Cashier Resume
Related Cover Letters
A perfect cover letter can be found here.
Download your Cashier Resume
> Resume – Grocery Cashier-1.PDF