When you are on the hunt for a new Software Engineer role, it is essential to first check out a top-notch Software Engineer resume sample. You want to make sure your resume stands out from the rest by being both informative and compelling to read without overwhelming the recruiter or hiring manager with irrelevant information.
How you create a resume into an interview-winning document, we will explain to you in detail below with our: How to make a Resume Guideline for Software Engineer Roles?
17 Software Engineer Resume Examples
Download these examples in PDF at the bottom of this page for free.
Software Engineer Resume Writing Guide
1. Contact Information:
Be sure to include alternative contact channels like your LinkedIn profile URL details.
2. Profile Summary:
View this as the introduction to your resume and include 1-3 sentences giving a broad overview of your background, years of industry experience and the industry sectors of interest plus a wow factor or qualification you have completed.
3. Qualifications Summary:
Provide accurate details about the certifications and qualifications you have completed with the institution, qualification name, and dates. Don’t forget to include qualifications you are currently completing too.
4. Relevant Software Experience:
Clearly state your employment history from the duration of your internship up to your current position. Use brief sentences with bullet points to list your most important daily activities under each role you have had.
5. Other Employment Experience:
This will include projects or work history outside of the formal software engineering field, but which may be necessary for the employer to know of. This section is especially important if you are on a level slightly more junior than a Software Engineer. You need to reveal your software engineering experience gained unofficially while for instance in a vocational or temporary job to showcase your abilities to write code, program systems or develop applications.
6. Skills Summary/Key Skills:
Incorporates keywords from the job posting and your specific skill set. These add much-needed credibility to your resume.
7. Education/Licenses/Certifications/Relevant Coursework/Training:
Start with your formal training certifications and post-school diplomas or accreditations. List any professional development that better prepared you to work in the software engineering field like coding and development courses.
What to Highlight in a Software Engineer's Resume
Regardless of your career tenure software engineering, there are a few vital things that employers and recruiters need to know about you as to ensure that you are the right fit for their team.
Software engineers are essential members of development teams for new pieces of software. They perform integration function between the scripts and codes written by the programmers and the product or interface that the end user gets to see. Software engineers are crucial to create product flow and often write code themselves to make the product functional for use.
The first aspect to highlight is the range of projects you have worked on. Mention the types of software you have created, tested and evaluated. These may include software for business applications, network control systems, middleware, operating systems, and even computer games or smartphone applications.
Software engineers may use various programming languages sometimes up to three different ones in a specific project. Clearly, state and even bold the programming languages you are familiar with as they serve as suitability indicators to the recruiter or hiring manager. (View them as SEO keywords for your resume)
Next, Software Engineers can work with systems where they would design and implements data assurance and security protocols. Another type of software engineering function is focused on networking which involves the complex design of intranet and collaboration between company servers. As a Software Engineer, you may also be responsible for customizing applications for clients or updating current software systems. Testing, writing training manuals and suggesting scope for system improvement also forms part of a Software Engineer’s role. Be as specific as you can without, of course, writing an entire product concept proposal.
*Cool Tip for Software skills include:
Make an impact by summarizing your technical competencies by Database, Software, and Languages per every project. You can even attach these in a separate document if you have multiple projects completed:
Databases: MySQL, Oracle, Access, SAP etc.
Software: Microsoft Office, Remedy, Microsoft SQL Server, DB Artisan, Eclipse, Visual Studio.NET, FrontPage
Languages: C#, Java, Visual Basic, ASP, XML, XSL, JWS, SQL, and T-SQL
Make sure to include the following details:
- The locations you are allowed to work in, according to your licensing and certifications obtained.
- Your GPA score if you have completed a bachelor or associates degree. (if higher than 3.5)
- A list of all the industries you have worked in for example Automotive, Medical Device, Specialty Chemicals, etc. (Use specific sic codes, which you will find on any labor classification website)
- Extended or irregular working hours are typical to this job, so is travel, therefore you need to indicate your willingness to do both.
- Much of a software engineer's work is done on a laptop/computer and telecommuting is always an option. This effectively means you can apply freely for international jobs too, just check the working hours in terms of time zone differences.
Software Engineer Career Summary Examples
Hiring managers typically have hundreds of resumes to go through and very little time to read them all in detail. Keep your career summary concise and to the point. Put the most important information first to capture their attention while they’re quickly skimming your resume.
Start your career summary with your years of experience in the industry and the main duties you performed. When deciding what duties to add, use the job description as your guide. For instance, if the job you are applying to emphasizes expertise in designing code or embedded software development use the same words in your summary. The more your resume resonates with the job description of keywords, the better fit you will seem.
Next, add a line that showcases any outstanding qualities that will add value to the company. A hiring manager would be interested to know if you have “strong programming skills, creative problem-solving abilities, and excellent time management.” It’s important to note that these qualities should be proven in the professional experience section to re-enforce your message.
Lastly, close with your educational degrees/diplomas, and any certifications/licenses you may have that are pertinent to the job
Two Examples of different career summaries:
“Out the box thinking Software Engineer with expertise in Java, T-SQL, and C#.Net and proven integration problem-solving tenure of 10 years. Skilled in developing systems architecture, writing requirement specifications, and user documentation training manuals. Holds a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering.”
“Senior Software Engineering with eight years of hands-on experience in core web design, coding, and product life cycle development. A guru in Python, R, and Perl offering quick turnaround times to clients. Holds a Bachelor of Engineering coupled with various certifications in embedded systems development.”
Software Engineer Job Descriptions, Responsibilities and Duty Examples
An employer would expect to see the following proven foundational duties and skill sets within an applicant’s resume, depending on educational level and career stage.
An entry level stage Software Engineer (less than five years’ experience) may:
- Assist in developing software solutions to meet customer requirements
- Participate in the full development life cycle of products including requirement analysis, architectural design and component software features through to implementation of test plans and documenting final product solution
- Other duties include reviewing code, writing documentation, and following test procedures
- Also involved with UI (user interface) design, graphics development, and 3-D programming
A Software Engineer at the mid-career stage (5-10 years’ experience) may:
- Programming computer controls which are used to activate machinery in manufacturing industries for example PLC and Agile bases systems
- Develop a project development plan together with the business analyst
- Setting up new IT systems, networks and intranets for clients
- Modifying and updating current software applications
- Writing documentation and training manuals
- Testing the model for compatibility and installation problems
- Conduct debugging and fix system incompatibilities arising after new software was implemented
A Software Engineer at an experienced/advanced stage (10-15 years’ experience) may:
- Develop software solutions by following the software development life cycle: documenting information requirements; conferring with users; investigating systems flow, data usage, and work processes; and studying problem areas
- Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Develop documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clear code
- Determine system specifications and standards before installing product solutions
- Conduct system analysis and recommend changes in policies and procedures
- Mentor and develop junior and midlevel software engineers
Highlight Your Accomplishments
Under your experience section, you may be tempted to copy and paste the list of duties you performed as detailed in your job description. The drawback to doing this, though, is that you won’t stand out from the other applicants with similar experience.
Your goal is to think about what sets you apart, what you are most proud of, or what you accomplished in your previous roles, and communicate these through action-packed statements that are compelling.
Flat, Simple Duty:
- Present software solutions to clients
- Translate user needs into easy-to-understand software solutions via client workshops and webinars which resulted in closing deals for the sales team of more than $500k in value
Flat, Simple Duty:
- Installing and configuring servers and workstations
- Designed a process tool suite which automates the installation and configuration of servers from bare metal to 90% completion saving 75 work hours per installation
Quantifying Your Resume
When writing your resume, if you can answer the questions, “How much?” or “How many?, How long? By when?, How often?”, It would help if you tried to include that number. For instance:
Quantified Example 1
- Developed error analysis for Intel i32 servers by designing algorithms within three weeks and reducing systems downtime by 28% after running those algorithms
Quantified Example 2
- Solve technical issues within 30 minutes on average by creating continuous bug fixes daily for the newly implemented ERM Software for the first 30 days after implementation
Software Engineer Education Section Example
The education section forms an integral part of your resume. In short, indicate What, Where and When regarding your qualifications, certifications or industry licenses obtained. The name of your qualification, institution, and date of completion is more than sufficient. Unless you are a graduate with limited working experience, there is no need to include major subjects or course curriculum topics.
Remember to include current qualifications you are in the process of completing. Regarding courses and certifications, discretion and relevance must be considered.
Completed Secondary and Tertiary Education must be listed as follows:
Start with the commencement date and completion date for diplomas, associate degrees, and bachelor degrees. For courses, you can just list the date of completion. Next comes the full name of the qualification, then the full name of the institution and then the City or abbreviated State name. List your high school diploma details similarly, but only include this when you have less than five years of working experience.
Here are some examples of a Software Engineering Resume with more than five years’ experience:
2012-2015 Masters Degree in Computer Science, Kaplan University, FL
2010-2011 Certified Network Professional (CNP), Florida Institute of Technology, FL
2007-2009 Associates Degree in Software Engineering, Milwaukee School of Engineering, WI
If you have less than five years’ experience, you may also add your majors, minors, GPA scores and accolades, and honors awards
2013 – 2015 Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA
Majors: Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering
Overall GPA: 3.21/4.00
2018 – Certificate in Multiplatform Software Development, Institute for Certification of Computer Professionals (ICCP), TN
2017 Ridgefield High School, High School Diploma, Ridgefield, NJ
What to Write in a Software Engineer Resume Skills Section
Although the production field requires specific technical skills, employers look for other skills, called soft skills. These are the main types of skills that indicate to your fitness as a potential employee who will add value, has adequate knowledge, sufficient experience and will be easy to manage. Incorporate these into your summary, or profile, and your accomplishment statements.
Technical Skills Examples:
- Educational Attainment:
A university degree is an entry level requirement to become a Software Engineer, but if you want to have a better chance of moving up into senior management later, it will be an advantage to complete a Masters or Ph.D.
- Technical Aptitude:
Analytical, problem-solving, teamwork and communication skills, as well as creativity and attention to detail; familiarity with database management, development environments, and program testing, are essential must haves. Software Engineers, need to be process orientated and meticulous to accurately assess client requirements and follow the set-out milestones of a product development life cycle to the tee.
- Other Technical Skills:
Software Engineer Resume Soft Skill Examples
|Attention to Detail||Self-Control||Adaptability/Flexibility|
|Innovative||Achievement/Effort Driven||Social Orientation|
Qualifications/Certifications associated with Software Engineers
|Bachelor of Computer Engineering||Microsoft Certified Solution Developer||Diploma in Embedded Software Development
|Oracle PL/ SQL Developer Certification||Sun Microsystems Java Certified Programmer||Associates Degree in Information Technology
Action Verbs for your Software Engineer Resume
Other Software Engineering Titles
|Applications Software Engineering||Software Architect|
|Bioinformatics Software Engineer||Software Engineering Supervisor|
|Computer Software Engineer||Systems Software Engineer|
|Computer Systems Software Engineer||Web Software Engineer|
|Information Technology Engineer||Windows Software Engineer|
Professional Information on Software Engineers
Career Type: Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Programming, Networks
Person type: Writer, Coder, Implementer, Designer, Developer, Fixer
Education levels: From Bachelor’s Degree upwards
Salary indication: From $98k to $130k annually / $42 – $52 per hour
Labor market: A whopping 26% from 2016 – 2016 (350.000 jobs)
Download Software Engineer Resume Examples in PDF
>Resume – Software Engineer.PDF (0) | >Resume – Software Engineer.PDF (1)