When you are scouting for new a Small Business Sales Manager role, it is essential to first check out a top-notch Small Business Sales Manager resume sample. You want to make sure your resume stands out from the rest by being both informative and entertaining to read without overwhelming the recruiter or hiring manager with irrelevant information.
How you create a resume into an interview-winning document, we will explain to you in detail below with our: How to make a Resume Guideline for Small Business Sales Manager Roles?
What you can read in this article
Small Business Sales Manager Resume Sample
1. Contact Information:
Name, Address, Phone, Email. Be sure to include alternative contact channels, as well as your LinkedIn profile
2. Career Objective / Profile Summary:
View this as the introduction to your resume and include 1-3 sentences giving a broad overview of your background, years of industry experience and the industry sectors of interest. You should be specific and state which job you are applying to.
3. Qualifications Summary:
Provide accurate details about the certifications and qualifications you have completed with the institution, qualification name, and dates. Don’t forget to include the qualifications you are currently completing.
4. Relevant Sales Management Experience:
Clearly state your employment history from providing details regarding the last ten years of experience up until your current position. Use brief sentences with bullet points to list the most important managerial and supervisory duties under each role you have had.
5. Other Employment Experience:
This will include projects or work history outside of sales management but only elaborate on these with job descriptions if you have less than five years of Sales Management experience. Otherwise, just list job title company and duration as to make sure there are no gaps in your employment history.
This section is especially important if you are on a level slightly more junior than Small Business Sales Manager. You need to reveal your supervisory and managerial experience gained unofficially while for instance in a vocational or temporary job to showcase your abilities to supervise and lead sales teams.
6. Skills Summary/Key Skills:
Incorporates keywords from the job posting and your specific skill set. This adds much-needed credibility to your resume.
7. Education/Licenses/Certifications/Relevant Coursework/Training:
Start with your formal degrees and post-school diplomas or accreditations. List any professional development that better prepared you to work in the sales management field such as leadership training, employee development workshops and business management courses
What to Highlight in a Small Business Sales Manager Resume
Regardless of your experience as a Small Business Sales Manager, there are a few vital things that employers and recruiters need to know about you as to ensure that you are the right fit for their team.
The first aspect to highlight is the scope of your work tenure in product type or industry area. A Small Business Sales Manager directs or coordinates the distribution or movement of the company’s products and services to its customers. There are millions of small businesses out there with every imaginable product or solution. It would be best if you were specific about the product type or service offering you have experience in.
Secondly, Small Business Sales Managers have to fulfill strategic responsibilities too. They coordinate sales distribution by creating sales territories and locational quotas for each client base. Mention the geographic areas you are responsible for.
Next comes the targets, goals and production metrics that the sales reps under your supervision need to achieve. Be number specific here and provide actual data for example 1 million turnovers achieved in the second quarter with average sales value per rep at $30 000. This shows that you can analyze sales statistics, which is necessary to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor the preferences of customers.
Next, employers want to see the range of budgets you have experience overseeing. One of the main tasks of a Small Business Sales Manager is to allocate resources (human or financial) to specific projects like marketing campaigns or product launches. In larger organizations, these are usually handled by the marketing or advertising team, but these often task Small Business Sales Managers are responsible for. There is a big difference between $5k projects and $1.5M projects. This information should be in your summary, as well as your position descriptions.
*Cool Tip for a stellar resume
You can really create an excellent first impression by breaking your job description down into the main responsibility areas of a Small Business Sales Manager
Prepare budgets and approve budgetary expenses. Determine discount rates and pricing schedules. Conduct sales forecasts and establish sales targets. Schedule implementation of career development and training plans.
Direct, coordinate, and review direct sales activities as well as indirect activities such as client administration, marketing efforts, and promotional campaigns. Keep abreast of current information, legalities, and regulations on tariffs, licenses, and restrictions.
Manage regional and local sales managers and their staff. Conduct training and performance evaluations. Coach and mentor sales consultants.
Review operational activity records and reports to compare actual vs. target outcomes. Manage profitability ratios. Monitor customer preferences to determine the focus of sales efforts.
Make sure to include the following details
• The locations or regions you are responsible for covering the average sales turnover per region
• Your GPA score if you have completed a bachelor or associates degree (if higher than 3.5)
• The number of sales employees you are managing as well as the headcount figures of any admin staff.
• Also mention the sales management platforms and customer relationship management (CRM) platforms you are familiar with like Sage, SalesForce, SAP, Oracle, and Vanguard.
• Remember to include communication and collaboration tools, for instance, cloud-based systems like Slack, Asana or even Skype which you are currently using to facilitate communication between team members.
• Are you in charges of B2B (business to business) or B2C (business to consumer) sales consultants?
• As a last point list examples of the main products, or product ranges which falls under your KPI’s. If you sell corporate solutions, indicate the different options available to clients.
Small Business Sales Manager Career Objective/Summary Examples
Hiring managers have large numbers of hundreds of resumes to go screen and limited time to read them all in detail. Keep your career objective/summary concise and to the point. Put the most relevant information first to capture their attention while they’re quickly scanning your resume.
Start your career objective/summary with your years of experience in the industry and the main duties you performed. When deciding what duties to add, use the job description as your guide. For instance, if the job you are applying to highlights leading and motivating teams uses those same words and phrases. The more your resume resonates with the job description of keywords, the better fit you will seem.
Next, add a line that showcases any outstanding qualities that will add value to the company. A hiring manager would be interested to know if you have “strong coordination skills, creative leadership abilities and a flair for statistics, metrics and sales ratios.” It’s important to note that these qualities should be proven with examples in the professional experience section to re-enforce your message.
Finally, end your objective with your educational degrees/diplomas and any certified courses or professional memberships you may have that are pertinent to the job.
'Experienced Small Business Sales Manager with ten years’ experience seeking employment within Retail Products as Sales Manager with a focus to improve sales turnover and positively impact company revenue. Was instrumental in increasing quarterly sales performance by 30% in during the last six months and leadership tenure is back by an MBA and numerous diplomas in coaching and training.'
'Dedicated Small Business Sales Manager aims to secure a position at ZYS IT Solutions bringing 15 years’ experience as a corporate sales manager at an IT Tech Distributor. A proven sales record, extensive tenure in managing a large network of sales reps and a Bachelor In Computer Science will ensure new business development and expansion of client territories to take revenue to the next level.'
Job Descriptions, Responsibilities and duty Examples
An employer would expect to see the following proven foundational duties and skill sets within an applicant’s resume, depending on educational level and career stage.
A Small Business Sales Manager at the mid-career stage (5-8 years experience) may
- Handle customer complaints regarding sales and service
- Prepare budgets and approve expenses
- Track customer preferences to determine where the focus of sales efforts should be
- Analyze sales statistics and activity metrics
- Conduct sales projections regarding products and client territories and forecast individual billings for sales staff to Determine discount rates or special pricing plans
- Develop plans to drive new business development, through direct sales techniques, cold calling, and business-to-business marketing visits
- Allocate sales territories and set sales quotas
- Plan and coordinate training programs for sales staff
- Conduct Performance Reviews
A Small Business Sales Manager at an experienced/advanced stage (8-15 years’ experience) may:
- Build creative sales strategies to increase customer satisfaction and attain business sales goals
- Conduct reviews of departmental sales performance and compare these against expected targets to identify areas for improvement
- Covey overall sales performance levels to executive management and submit solution proposals for approval
- Use analytics to populate data sets and compile reports on daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly performance to submit to executive management
- Actively involved in research efforts to identify new marketing strategies, business opportunities and the performance of competitors
- Track overall sales activities and allocate resources in sales areas that require additional sales consultants to handle the sudden influx of new business
- Participates in trade shows, sales workshops, sales seminars, and events on behalf of the business to increase visibility
- Stay on top of new trends and innovation within the industry
- Continuously network by staying an active member of relevant industry bodies locally and internationally where applicable
- Cultivate relationships with prospective new clients and by introducing sales consultants to them
- Coach and mentor senior members of the team
- Develop training plans and career paths for subordinates
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders such as finance and HR departments regarding budgets and recruitment needs.
- Conduct performance reviews and career planning sessions with members of the sales team
Highlight Your Accomplishments
Under your experience section, you may be tempted to copy and paste the list of duties you performed as detailed in your job description. The drawback to doing this, though, is that you won’t stand out from the other applicants with similar experience.
Your goal is to think about what sets you apart, what you are most proud of, or what you accomplished in your previous roles, and communicate these through action-packed statements that are compelling.
Flat, Simple Duty:
- Track goal attainment and performance of sales consultants
- Use SalesForce system functionality to review actual daily, weekly and monthly sales activities of 20 sales reps and analyze lead to deal ratio’s individually and collectively using spreadsheets and performance graphs on Excel
Quantifying Your Resume
When writing your resume, if you can answer the questions, “How much?” or “How many?” It would be best if you tried to include that number. For instance:
- How many cold calls are made on a weekly basis?
- What is the lead to deal ratio?
- What is the average deal size?
- What is the average billings per quarter?
– The sales team of 20 makes 2000 cold calls per week, with an average lead-to-deal ratio of 30%.
– Sales performance increased by 20% following the implementation of bi-monthly product training workshops resulting in quarterly billings increasing from $2 million to $2.4 million.
Small Business Sales Manager Education Section Example
2001 Chris Jones High School, High School Diploma, Tampa, FL
2002-2005 Bachelor of Communication Science, University of Arizona, AR
2006-2008 Masters in Business Administration, Chicago State University, IL
What to Write in a Small Business Sales Manager Resume Skills Section
Although the sales field requires specific technical skills, employers also look for other skills, called soft skills. These are the main types of skills that indicate to your fit as a manager who will add value, has adequate knowledge, sufficient experience and who will motivate and inspire sales teams. Incorporate these into your summary, or profile, and into your accomplishment statements.
Technical Skills Examples
A university degree generally required to become a Small Business Sales and the top suggested degrees are Business Management, Communications, and Marketing. If you are planning to progress to Sales Director level or executive management and a Masters In Business Administration is highly desirable.
Small Business Sales Managers need to be strategically orientated to create sales plans, new business development strategies and establish new sales territories, On the other hand, a Small Business Sales manager must be hands-on in driving daily sales activities of staff by implementing automated tracking software. They also need to be financially savvy to compile budgets.
Small Business Sales Managers are constantly challenged by the ups and downs of the sales cycle. Therefore, strong leadership skills are a must to motivate or critique the consultant’s performance in a constructive manner.
Other Technical Skills:
Budgets, Strategic Marketing, Research, Analytics, Social Media, Cloud-Based Collaboration Platforms, CRM Systems, Quality Control, Report Writing, Feedback Mechanisms.
Soft Skill Examples
- Attention to Detail
- Social Perceptiveness
- Service Orientation
- Strategic Thinking
Qualifications/Certifications associated with Small Business Sales Managers
|Bachelor of Communication
|Master in Business Administration
|Diploma in Business Management
|Financial Management Certificate
|SaleForce Super User
|Project Management Diploma
|Labor Relations Certificate
|Associate Degree in Marketing Management
Action Verbs for your Small Business Sales Manager Resume
Industries Using Small Business Sales Managers:
- Oil, Gas & Exploration
- Medical Device
- Life Sciences
- Food Manufacturing
- Consumer Goods
- Metals & Steel Production
- Packaging & Distribution
- Electronic Components
- Power Plants
- Specialty Chemicals
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology
- Courier Services
- Advertising Agencies
- Training Consultants
- Accounting and Taxation
Professional information of Small Business Sales Managers
Career Type: Sales, Business Development, Accounts Management, Client Relations
Person type: Leader, Motivator, Coach, Trainer
Education levels: Post School Diploma to Masters’ Degree
Salary indication: From $68k to $120k
Labor market: Estimated 7% growth between 2016 – 2026
Organizations: Any business with less than 500 employees
Downloads of the Small Business Sales Manager Resume in PDF
> Kate McDavies – Small Business Sales Manager Resume.PDF