Other – Resume Q&A’s
1. How long should my resume be?
The generally accepted resume length is a maximum of 2 pages unless you are applying for federal, governmental, state or military positions, then you may present a document of between five and ten pages.
2. How to Format a resume?
Start with your personal particulars and contact information at the top of the page or include them in the header or footer. Add a professional summary or career synopsis on the first page, and make it stand out by using a different font and placing the paragraph in the center of the page
3. What template should I use?
There are thousands of resume templates available on Google, so the choice is yours. Make sure that the template fits the job you’re applying to. For example, creative marketing or graphic design roles should focus on visual aesthetics like imaging, color coordination, graphics, and infographics.
On the other hand, if you are in a technical field like engineering you should pay more attention to the written parts of your resume, using clean lines, basic fonts, and consistency with paragraph spacing and headings.
4. Do I add a photo?
This is a personal choice. If you do decide to add a picture bear in mind the following tips: image should be crisp and clear, your attire should complement your skin tone, be neat and look professional, stick to a natural smile and choose a mono-colored background.
5. Should I add internship and volunteering gigs?
Yes, if you are a recent graduate or have less than five years of experience, feel free to include all internships, volunteering stints, as well as, vocational or temporary employment roles.
6. How should I write an accomplishment section?
To write a stellar accomplishment section, categorize your achievements by answering the following questions with a Yes or a No. For all the ones you answered Yes on, include a backup statement (one sentence explanation), filled with numerical values.
- Have I streamlined any processes? If so, in what way?
- Did I save the company money? If yes, how much in value and during which time frame?
- Did I receive any special accolades or endorsements? If Yes, What were they for and from how many contenders?
- Have I introduced new ideas that the organization decided to implement? If so, what were they, and how did they add value?
- Have I decreased the company’s risk? If yes, what were the risks, how did you reduce them and by which percentage?
- Did I increase company revenue without increasing resource expenses? If yes, what was the dollar value or percentage increase?